Emergency Grab Bag
If you are asked to leave your home by the emergency services, take your complete Household Emergency Life-Saving Plan plus your Emergency Grab Bag and leave as quickly as possible.
An emergency could happen at any time. Making an emergency supply kit, an Emergency Grab Bag is one simple thing you can do to make sure you and your family are ready. An Emergency Grab Bag is a useful bag packed with essentials in case you have to evacuate.
Make an Emergency Grab Bag of things you could need. It will need to be easily found by all family members, and should be checked every six months.
A backpack or a small suitcase with wheels will be suitable.
What items should be in a emergency grab bag?
Consider including the following items:
- Copy of your Household Emergency Life-Saving Plan
- First aid kit and medication
- Copies of important family documents in a waterproof bag
- Prescription medication
- Cash and Credit Cards
- Car Keys
- Toiletries and sanitary supplies
- Mobile phone and charger
- Infant supplies
- Spare clothes
- A battery torch with spare batteries or a wind up torch
- A battery radio with spare batteries or wind up radio
- Bottled water and emergency food, enough for three days
- Childcare supplies or other special care items
- Extra set of house and car keys
- Keep an Emergency Grab Bag in your car. This is extremely important during cold weather.
It should include the following:
- Suitable winter clothes and a blanket or a sleeping bag
- Mobile phone, torch, radio and extra batteries
- Shovel and windscreen scraper
- Tow chain and rope
- Jump leads